The Importance of Healthy Gums
Healthy gums are the foundation of a healthy smile. When the gums are in poor health, It can lead to a wide range of dental health problems, including tooth loss, bone loss, and halitosis. Gum disease is one of the leading cause of poor gum health; it is a bacterial infection of the gums that causes them to weaken over time. In advanced cases of gum disease, deep pockets form around the teeth, causing them to shift and may eventually lead to tooth loss.
At Smiles of Trinity Family Dentistry, we are dedicated to helping our patients improve their dental health. We work with our patients to educate them on the best practices in dentistry to equip them with the tools they need to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Taking care of your gums is not only crucial to achieving a beautiful smile but a healthy one as well. We recommend that patients visit our office twice a year for a routine dental exam, professional dental cleaning, and gum disease screening.
During your biannual visit, Dr. Franceschi can examine your teeth, gums, and mouth and assess your risk for gum disease. With the results from your visit, we can determine if further treatment or a preventive care plan is needed.
Stages of Gum Disease
- Gingivitis: The earliest stage of gum disease is gingivitis; this stage of gum disease may be reversed with early intervention and diligent dental care. Patients with gingivitis often experience bleeding gums when brushing and flossing.
- Periodontitis: This is an advanced stage of gum disease may result in tooth and bone loss if left untreated.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
The warning signs of gum disease can range from subtle to severe. Knowing the signs and symptoms of gum disease may help you get one step closer to the treatment you need. Common signs of gum disease may include:
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Shifting, loose teeth
- Red, swollen gums
- Spacing between the teeth
- Changes in the fit of your dentures
Treatment For Gum Disease in Trinity, FL
- Scaling and Root Planing: This treatment is the extensive deep cleaning of the areas above and below the gum line. It is designed to remove plaque and bacteria buildup and smooth the tooth root surface to prevent bacteria buildup.
- Gum Surgery: In advanced cases of gum disease, a patient may need to undergo gum surgery to reduce the size of their periodontal pockets. This helps promote healthier teeth and gums.
- Laser Gum Disease Treatment: Dental lasers can efficiently and quickly remove diseased gum tissues. Laser dentistry promotes faster healing, a more comfortable treatment, and also reduced the risk of infection.
During your visit, Dr. Franceschi will assess the health and function of your teeth and gums to determine which solution best suits your needs. The goal of treatment is to restore health and function to the gums and reduce the risk of reinfection.
Schedule A Gum Disease Screening
Gum disease is a progressive dental issue that should be treated promptly. If you notice any changes in your gum health, or you have not visited the dentist recently for a gum disease screening, visit our team at Smiles of Trinity Family Dentistry. To schedule your appointment, call 727.376.6969, or request an appointment online.
We look forward to helping you improve your gum health.